Thursday, June 7, 2012

Dear Guy Who Sculpted the Techmarine. . .

By Outremer


I hope you die in a fire.  A really hot one.



I've spent the last two hours saying to myself, "I think I'm done with this guy!" only to find another little detail that needs attention. . . and another. . . and another. . . and another.  It's a wonderful looking model. . . but damn if it isn't a project unto itself.

Just had to get that off my chest.



Other random things that have been rolling around in my head while hopped up on diet Dew and painting all night last night. . .

I started painting again last year after not touching a mini for a good five or six years.  During that hiatus I finished a tattooing apprenticeship and worked in a shop for a while.  Now that I'm painting again I've noticed that I'm fixated on using black washes on everything and going for some pretty extreme shading.  Now, I'm not talking about the quick and dirty "throw a black wash on everything and call it done" kind of deal.  I'm actually going back and adding several color washes over the black, but I'm really trying to get that super dark lower tone on stuff.  That's not really something I went for the last time I was painting minis.  IT seems that my time tattooing has influenced my miniature painting.  Dark outlines and grey shading are kind of standard fare for basic tattoo artwork and that seems to be what I'm trying to achieve with everything I've painted in the last year.  It's kind of cool when things you've learned in one discipline bleed over into another.  The jury is still out on whether this has actually improved my painting or not. . .

I'm not sold on GW's new dry brush paint.  It seems to dry up and clump on the brush very quickly.  I've actually been dipping my brush into water as I go to prevent this. . . how's that for counter intuitive?  The white is pretty much the only one I've used. . . perhaps the other colors are a little better?  I've been using GW's new paints for most of the Grey knights project and so far have been very pleased with them.  Just about killed half a dozen pots so far. . . they must be doing alright!

Ok, breaks over. . .  back to painting.  I have a 1500 point army to finish for Saturday.   Pics to come! 

10 comments:

  1. I really like that model. I too am a fan of hard shading and strong contrast. It stands out more on the table too, you can pick out the shading at a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. he's a neat model, and I think an example of too much crap on one mini. There's a whole bunch of stuff on him, and that's just the original mini.

    I just imagine someone that laden with extra garb going into battle and burning to death because the extra bedrolls, furs, and scrolls hanging from their armor actually got snagged on something (no capes), and it all caught on fire.

    no wounds. he just got his armor caught on a passing Landraider, got drug through a flamer blast, and his ornaments caught fire, cooking him in his highly decorated armor. oh the Irony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the 41st millennium there is only bling.

      Delete
    2. Ya, some of those Grey knights have enough parchment on their armor to start a small inferno. Picturing Coteaz roasting weinies over the fallen after a nasty Chaos flamer attack. . .

      Delete
    3. As a matter of fact I'm going to convert this Coteaz to be doing just that. . .

      Delete
  3. Hate to tell you this, but you forgot the barrel of the flamer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. uuummmm. . . I didn't forget anything. I'm saving the hardest bit for last?

      Delete
  4. Dude!! That is the best tech marine I have ever seen!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what you'd better say! :)

      Delete
  5. As a serious ink enthusiast, I'd love to see pics of your skin work at some time. Your painting shows a really strong understanding of balance and I'd love to see how that translates to a human canvas...

    ReplyDelete

out dang bot!

Recent Favorites

All-Time Favorites