Saturday, September 4, 2010

Reader Question: How Competitive is the Emo-Wing?

by SandWyrm

Hey Sandwyrm

While having a look at your blog I encountered your blood angels, and to be honest I couldn't quite believe my eyes when I saw the list. A sanguinary guard army! With Dante
and Mephiston! What I was curious to know is that how successful that army has been for you, and whether it is competetive or not. To my mind it would slaughter elite armies, but struggle against hordes.

I was just curious to know as it is the sort of themed list that apeals to me. It also means less stuff to buy and paint which must be an advantage.

Cheers

Chad

SandWyrm's Reply:

The short answer is that I believe the Emo-Wing to be about 80% as competitive as my Mech IG for less than half the $$$ price.

The long answer is more complicated. It comes down to the concept of "Action Vectors".

Look at my current 2K Mech IG list:

    HQ
205    Company Command Squad w/4 x Melta, Astro, Fleet, Chimera

    Troops
155    Veteran Squad w/3 x Melta, Chimera
155    Veteran Squad w/3 x Melta, Chimera
170    Veteran Squad w/3 x Plasma, Chimera
170    Veteran Squad w/3 x Plasma, Chimera
130    Veteran Squad w/3 x Melta, Grenadiers
130    Veteran Squad w/3 x Melta, Grenadiers

    Fast Attack
130    Vendetta Gunship
130    Vendetta Gunship
295    2 x Hellhound w/Hull Multi-Melta

    Heavy Support
165    Leman Russ Demolisher w/Hull Heavy Flamer
165    Leman Russ Exterminator w/Hull Lascannon
In terms of game play, this list has 12 action vectors. That is, it has 12 parts which can do distinct things in a given turn (17 if I dismount all the infantry).

Now look at the Emo-Wing:
    HQ
225    Dante
250    Mephiston

    Elites
90    Sanguinary Priest w/Jump Pack, Power Weapon
75    Sanguinary Priest w/Jump Pack

    Troops
230    Sanguinary Guard Squad w/2 x Infernus Pistol, Powerfist
230    Sanguinary Guard Squad w/2 x Infernus Pistol, Powerfist
230    Sanguinary Guard Squad w/2 x Infernus Pistol, Powerfist
230    Sanguinary Guard Squad w/2 x Infernus Pistol, Powerfist
230    Sanguinary Guard Squad w/2 x Infernus Pistol, Powerfist
   
    Fast Attack
70    LandSpeeder w/Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta
70    LandSpeeder w/Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta
70    LandSpeeder w/Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta
Deployed, this list has 9 action vectors. 10 if Dante goes solo, but that wouldn't be wise.

In general, if I'm facing a list with the same or fewer number of vectors (or many low-quality vectors) the Emo-Wing does fine. But if you have more vectors than I do, I'm going to really struggle.

In my first game vs. Protem's Marines, he had 9 Vectors. I won... barely.

In my 2nd game vs. a Genestealer build, he also had 9 Vectors. I also won... barely. :)

I then slaughtered some poor kid with a Marine battleforce. He had around 7.

I got beat by Buckler's Necrons. He had 7 or 8, but snookered me with good tactics. Had I deployed better, I would have beaten him.

Remember the guy with the 4 Land Raiders? All mounted up like that, he had only 4 vectors to my 9. So I was able to bottle him in and dictate the game beautifully.

Gibbs' Mech Eldar had 6 (when everyone was embarked). He also had to come to me. So once again I won.

Then I fought Alpha's Thunderwolves. He only had 7 vectors when deployed, so I had a chance. But lost it to misinterpreted rules and bad luck.

Knowing the outcome beforehand, I fought Farmpunk a few weeks back, but got soundly tabled. He started with around 10 vectors. But, just like guard, I'd kill a couple of tanks and... he'd still have 10 vectors. If I'm lucky I'll pop a transport before assaulting the troops inside. But my melta rolls haven't been that good, and you can't rely on that consistently.

Sooo...

If I were to face a 2K Ork list with 3 mobs of 50 Boyz, some Lootas, and a Warboss I'd prolly be OK. I have the speed to jump around and dictate when I fight. But take that same hoard and split into 6 mobs of 25... eh, not so good.

In short:

Multiple Small Units (with meltas or plasmas)  = Dead Emos. Traditional Elite lists = Happy Emos!

St.John took his SangGuard list to NovaCon and went 4-1 with them. Which seems about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

out dang bot!

Recent Favorites

All-Time Favorites